As often as it gets, I always forget to put up an out-of-office (OOO) email message when I'm headed out for a vacation. It's one of those things I remember just as I'm shutting down, or sometimes even after I've already left. (Heheh, sorry peps.)
Most OOO messages are boring non-replies. But a few creative Relics have penned funny, snarky messages so amusing they more than make up for the fact that the sender won’t be helping you with your urgent project. It’s no secret that we like to have fun around here.
Since I usually throw them up in a hurry, I don't take a lot of time to get creative. So I decided to Google for some funny, clever, and snarky OOO messages people have used in the past.
Here are some of the gems I found.
Funny Out-of-Office Messages
1) I am currently out at a job interview and will reply to you if I fail to get the position.
2) Hi. I’m thinking about what you’ve just sent me. Please wait by your PC for my response.
Still waiting ...
3) I am out of the office from mm/dd to mm/dd and will not be checking email. It’s likely your note will be swallowed in a sea of inbox banality, never to be seen again. If you require a response, please re-send your email after mm/dd.
Even then, not gonna guarantee anything.
4) On vacation. Hoping to win the lottery and never return.
So much for passion.
5) I am away from the office right now. Unfortunately, I will be back tomorrow.
6) "I am currently out of the office on vacation.
I know I'm supposed to say that I'll have limited access to email and won't be able to respond until I return -- but that's not true. My blackberry will be with me and I can respond if I need to. And I recognize that I'll probably need to interrupt my vacation from time to time to deal with something urgent.
That said, I promised my wife that I am going to try to disconnect, get away and enjoy our vacation as much as possible. So, I'm going to experiment with something new. I'm going to leave the decision in your hands:
7) I have lost my mind. I've gone to find it. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. But you don't have to - in the interim, please direct your emails and inquiries to: __________________ until my anticipated re-entry [DATE]
8) Meme me away
He loses some points for creativity because he used the wrong font. Come on, David. We were counting on you.
Try this with Meme Generator or use the photo editor app on your mobile...
9) “If your email is urgent, please feel free to panic.”
10) I will be out of the office from mm/dd/yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy without access to email. If this is an emergency, please call 911.
Clever Out-of-Office Replies
11) If you’re reading this, Doc Brown was unable to make lightning strike the clock tower, and I’m stuck in 1985. I won’t be able to respond to emails or voicemail until 9ish on mm/dd, or until email is invented -- whatever comes first.
This is the one I'm most bummed I didn't think of first.
12) I am currently out of the office. I have a cell phone, but I will not be giving the number out. If you can guess the number, however, I will take your call.
I support the logic here.
13) 404: Marketing Manager not found.
The nerds will get it, at least.
14) I am on vacation from [DD/MM] to [DD/MM]. I will allow each sender one email. If you send me multiple emails, I will randomly delete your emails until it is pared down to one. Choose wisely. Please note that you already sent me one email.
Hope it was a good one!
15) Thank you for your email. Your credit card has been charged $5.99 for the first ten words and $1.99 for each additional word in your message.
Brevity is the soul of wit.
16) The email server is unable to verify your server connection. Your message has not been delivered. Please restart your computer and try sending again.
If you receive this message a second time, I haven't done my job.
17) "Well, I have good news and I have bad news.
The bad news: I'm out of the country and won't be able to get back to you until MM/DD! (There may be a possibility I can sneak a reply or two back to the mainland, but I wouldn't count on it.)
The good news: If this is an emergency, I've got your back. Our amazing support fanatics are standing by. If you need something other than support, please call [XXX-XXX-XXX] to speak to someone right away.
18) [NAME] Is Not In: Patience You Must Have My Young Padawan! Please Read!
I am out of the office until Monday, [DD/MM/YYYY]. I know I should say that I'll check my email throughout this time for urgent ones, but, I probably won't! In the paraphrased words of Yoda:
“Waiting for a reply are you? What know you of waiting? For many years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This time off a long time have I planned. At this time, my padawans, you must look away… to the future, to the 28th of December. Never your mind on where I am. Hmm? What she was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A preschool teacher-Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless.”
So, I am off to be reckless. And by reckless, I mean hanging out with our Grandson during his first Christmas and spending time with our daughters, and yes, our Corgi!
If you are submitting assignments for one of the workshops, please continue to submit them!
19) Walter’s refrigerator
Hi, I’m Walter’s refrigerator. Unfortunately the mail server is having a nervous breakdown, so the rest of us drew straws, and you’re stuck with me.
However, no worries, as I will paste a sticky note on my door with your message (in much better penmanship than the sink could ever achieve!).
I’m sure that walter will eventually stumble across it once he’s back and getting hungry.
I should warn you that any reply might not be the same day that Walter gets back, as the Chinese take-away across the street is excellent. :)
With kind regards,
20) A fellow soldier mobilized for the US Army
Hello, and thank you for your message.
I will be out of the office for two years, until Saddam Hussein is dead, or until the President sends me home. I will not have access to e-mail during this time.
21) “Nope, not here.
Oh, you e-mailed me again? What’s that, three now? Still not here.”
22) Hey there, could you give me a call instead? I’d rather deal with this over the phone. If I don’t answer, just keep trying. I’ve been having issues with my phone.
23) Got this from a marine guy...
I'm sailing and with a very limited connectivity to the internet, I will read your email(s) or probably bulk delete the useless ones when I found land with good coverage...
Snarky Out-of-Office Messages
24) I’m not in the office right now but if it’s important, tweet me using #YOUAREINTERRUPTINGMYVACATION.
I'm actually more likely to check email than Twitter on vacation.
25) You are receiving this automatic notification because I am out of the office. If I was in, chances are you wouldn't have received anything at all.
26) I am out of the office until mm/dd. Enjoy the quiet.
... possibly indefinitely.
27) I am currently out of the office and probably out-of-my-mind drunk. Enjoy your workweek.
Please drink responsibly.
28) I cannot handle your emails until I return on [DD/MM/YYYY]. Please be patient and your mail will be deleted in the order it was received.
Honesty is the best policy.
29) I'm on holiday and will be bulk deleting all emails on my return without reading any. If it's important, re-send it on [date] or better yet call me and actually talk to me.
30) VP of Online Marketing and Marketing Operations Baxter Denney writes his auto-response in third-person robot:
Hi, Robo-Bax here! Real Baxter will be out 12/28-1/8 with no email access.
Here are your go-to peeps for him while he’s out.
Anything else, just figure it out!
Otherwise, Baxter will get back to you when he returns.
31) Hawaii OOO so you can judge for yourself
The rumor is true. I'm in Hawaii. What does this mean for you?
I accept the disappointment that you can't reach me - compounded by the fact that you slightly hate me for pointing out the obvious. While most Out of Office auto replies just hint at the nature of why someone is away, I've been brutally honest. If you are flinging something at someone's head right now, I completely understand. The truth is I'm having fun, and you are sending me a work email. But consider this, in no time at all I'll be reading your boring OOO reply and doing my own flinging. Circle of life.
So while there is nothing I can do to alleviate your current dislike of our situations, I accept it and promise to tip a Mai Tai to you!
32) I am away from my desk and lost in a sea of cubicles. Someone please come help me.
-Beware of the office landshark.
33) I am away from the office at this moment. I will still be away from the office at the next moment and returning at a later moment. If you have any issues at the current moment, and they cannot wait until a later moment, please contact my manager, who may actually be away at the moment.
34) Your message contained 15 characters too many for our system to accept at the present time. Please re-format and re-send.
35) I'm away from my desk. Upon my return, my desk and I will be one cohesive unit.-Ohmmmmmmmmm
What other creative out-of-office replies have you come across?
Please share them with us in the comments...